Saturday, January 16, 2010

Memory: A Project



I created this vid using Xtreme Photostory on CD & DVD 7 (the new version is available now, but version 7 is still available at a reduced price).

There are countless vids of this nature available to view on Youtube and other video sharing sites.

This is the second vid I have made, but the first has gone missing from my hard drive.

The song used for this is called "Memory" and was written for the musical CATS, and performed by Elaine Paige. I listened to the song a few times, and was inspired to create this production.

As I listened to the song, I began formulating scenes to go along with the music. This isn't just a mish mash of random pictures as many vids of this type are. It has a progressive flow.

Synopsis: (lyrics, pictures, and explanation)

Midnight. Not a sound from the pavement... scenes of city streets at night.

Has the moon lost her memory? She is smiling alone...scenes of the moon over a city. These two parts set the stage for the next.

In the lamplight the withered leaves collect at my feet. And the wind begins to moan... Two pictures showing (respectively) a dog and a cat in silhouette in alleyways, meant to preface the true subjects.

Memory, all alone in the moonlight. I can smile at the old days, I was beautiful then. I remember the time I knew what happiness was. Let the memory live again. Every street lamp seems to beat a fatalistic warning. Someone mutters, and the street lamp gutters, and soon it will be morning... The pictures that accompany the song here are all of animals abandoned and left to die of illness and injury in urban areas. The first picture shown is of an injured kitten, walking along a sidewalk with people passing by. It illustrates the careless disregard of people, and the utter hopelessness many animals face when abandoned.

Daylight. I must wait for the sunrise. I must think of a new life, and I mustn't give in. When the dawn comes, tonight will be a memory too, and a new day will begin... These are pictures of animals that have been fortunate enough to be rescued from the streets, or from neglect and abuse, and are receiving care. They can look forward to their pain ending, and the possibility of a good future.

Musical score... Some more neglected and rescued animals, followed by scenes of animals in good health that have been abandoned into the shelter system for whatever reason (arguably better than being abandoned on the streets).

Burnt out ends of smoky days, the stale cold smell of morning. A streetlamp dies, another day is dawning, and soon it will be morning... scenes of animals being euthanized at shelters. Even when an animal is fortunate enough to end up in a shelter, they don't all make it out alive. A painless death is preferable to slow agony.

Touch me, it's so easy to leave me all alone with my memories of my days in the sun... I feel that this is the best scene in the vid. The first picture is a man reaching out to touch the paw of a cat in a cage. The following pictures illustrate the desperation of the animals abandoned at shelters. They were loved once, and they do not understand why they have been cast aside. They reach out for comfort.

If you touch me, you'll understand what happiness is. Look...a new day has begun. This final scene shows animals being adopted, given a second chance at happiness, and scenes of the joy they bring into their family's lives, as well as a thank you to those who have helped animals in need.

I really enjoyed making this vid. The pictures were gathered using Google search, and then edited in Photoshop Elements. In most of the pictures, I made them black and white, then added back color in certain areas to either draw attention to an injury, or imply a spiritual energy around the subject.

1 comment:

  1. Janine,

    You did an outstanding job on your vid. Much thought was put into the whole process and the outcome is an overwhelmingly awesome vid. You have a gift!

    Beverly

    ReplyDelete